5 Canada-Inspired Cocktails For Celebrating Canada’s 150th Birthday
Break out that ole’ maple syrup because we are about to get thirsty with these Canadian-themed drinks!
1) The Mirepoix Experience
Created by Calgary bartender Timo Salimaki, The Mirepoix Experience won Timo first place in Bombay Sapphire’s ‘Most Imaginative Bartender’ competition. Timo will be representing Canada in the finals in England this year. You can try out his winning recipe below!
2 oz Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin
- 0.5 oz Cointreau
- 1.75 oz Spiced Mirepoix Tincture
- 0.5 oz Ginger Syrup
- 0.5 oz Lemon Juice
- 2 dashes Bittercube Orange Bitters
Directions Place all ingredients in to a shaker. Add ice, and shake. Double strain into a chilled coupe.
2) Rose Sapsucker
For those of us that grew up in rural Canada, you may remember collecting maple water from trees. This cocktail combines the sweet woody taste of the maple tree with rose infused gin to transport you back to the forest of your childhood memories.
- 1 oz Dillon’s Rose Gin
- 2 oz Sapsucker Maple Water
Rim the glass with lemon rind, add the ingredients together in a cocktail shaker. Strain and garnish with lemon.
3) Georgian Pie
One of our favourite memories of Canadian summers is spending time in Georgian Bay by the water just enjoying the breeze and the fresh air.
- 1 oz. Collingwood Whisky
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 oz. Lavender simple syrup
- 1/2 oz. Pineapple juice
- 1 egg white
Directions In a shaker, add all ingredients and shake 10 seconds. Strain into glass filled with ice.
4) Canadian Old FashionedCanadians are known for their rye-based spirits so obviously we had to include a rye whisky cocktail.
- 2 oz Canadian Club 100% Rye
- 0.5 oz Maple Syrup
- 2 Dashes Cherry Bitters
Directions Stir with ice in a mixing glass for 30 seconds Pour into a Rocks glass over 1 large ice ball / cube Garnish with a cinnamon stick rubbed around inside rim of glass
5) Siempre Vida RosaFeaturing the first 100% Canadian-owned tequila, you’ll be living the vida loca this long weekend with this citrus-y hibiscus cocktail!
- 1 oz Siempre Tequila
- 2.5 oz Hibiscus Cordial
- 1 oz Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- Hibiscus and Himalayan Pink Salt Rim
Directions In a shaker, add all ingredients and shake 10 seconds. Strain into chilled glass.