HEALTHY KIDS THROUGHOUT THE COLD AND FLU SEASON
When it comes to healthcare, it is not often you think of your Dentist Office as a place to meet with your Nutritionist, Osteopath or Naturopath. Well, it’s time to change your mode of thinking. Our community is not only lucky enough to be home to a Holistic Dentist, but a medical professional committed to changing the way we take care of our mind, body and spirit. There is no mistake that your overall oral hygiene can be connected to your general physical health, so while you take care of those pearly whites, know that you can meet with these professionals together and united under one roof right here on St. Clair West. We hope you enjoy this article by Dr. Andrea Scholten, ND, DHMHS, Doula [dropcap]H[/dropcap]ave your kids recently gone back to school or daycare and you’re worried about them catching all the infections the other kids will be bringing with them to school? Are you considering giving your child the flu vaccine to help keep them healthy? If you are looking for a safer and more natural alternative, you can use the following easy tips to keep your child’s immune system healthy and strong so they can protect themselves against sickness. Pay extra attention to the following suggestions during early fall, mid-winter and early spring as these are peak times for colds and flu. Nutrition is one of the most significant aspects to determining a healthy immune system. Approximately 80% of our immune system is located in and around the digestive tract; therefore supporting the digestive system with a wholesome whole foods diet can make a huge difference for a child’s immunity.
- Fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds (raw) and high quality meats and eggs (organic when possible).
- Add herbs to your diet (garlic, onions, parsley, ginger, oregano etc.)
- Home brewed chicken soup (made by boiling the bones for 4-6 hours) has clinical studies showing it stimulates production of immune cells.
- Limit dairy and damp foods (soy, eggs, butter, oils, deep fried foods) as they increase mucous production
- Avoid sugar, it encourages pathogen growth and suppresses immune system – 50g sugar has been shown to paralyze white blood cells for up to 5 hours!!
- If your child displays digestive concerns that do not seem to resolve, speak to your Naturopathic Doctor about ways to assess for food sensitivities.