Protect your body against Cold and Flu with this “Change of Season Soup”
A delicious way to protect your body against cold and flu
Change of Season soup is an immune tonic, which has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine to prepare the body for cold and flu season. It nourishes the “yin” energy and protects the lungs, which are more susceptible in the fall and winter.
Equal parts (2-3 oz each) of each herb:
- Astragalus root (Huang Qi): Helps to strengthen protective defences, strengthen “Qi” energy, nourish the spleen, and tonify the blood and lungs.
- Codonopsis pilosula root (Dang Shen): Helps to tonify and strengthen “qi” energy. It helps to build blood and nourish body fluids.
- Lychii/wolf berries (Gou Qi Zi): Lycii berries help to strengthen the liver and the kidneys.
- Dioscorea/wild yam (Shan Yao): Dioscorea is a herb that tonifies and balances the lungs and the kidneys.
– Fill a large stock pot with water.
– Add the above herbs to the pot and place the lid on.
– Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 to 4 hours.
– Using a slotted spoon, remove the herbs from the pot and allow the soup to cool.
You can drink as a tea, 2 cups a day in the fall for 14 days, or use it as a base for soup recipes by adding in herbs like ginger, cinnamon and garlic, seasonal root vegetables, and/or chicken.
Always consult with your Naturopathic Doctor to make sure any remedy is right for you. Do not use if you have an active cold or flu. Wait until it passes and then start.
Recipe courtesy of the Hillcrest Centre for Health. Pick up your herbs today!