Tips for Designing for Kids with Joey Vogel
I love designing rooms for kids! I really still think I am a kid at heart. When designing for kids it is a completely different ball game than designing a kitchen. When designing for children’s bedrooms in particular there are many things that often get overlooked. It is thrilling being able to give your child a great room, but there are so many aspects you need to consider when designing for kids.
- Spend on large quality items such as the bed, dresser, desk, carpet and window coverings
- Save on wall decor & accessories, allowing a simple transition as the child gets older
- Have fun with kid or themed bedding and pillows
The Power of the Bookshelf
- Always secure the book shelf to the wall in a child’s room, bookshelves are tall and with the weight of books can easily fall over.
- Keep frequently used items at a reachable height for your child
- Get creative because bookshelves do not only have to be for books
Fun & Themes
- Avoid Characters, TV Shows, or Comic Book Themes, keep themes and bedding choices somewhat age neutral (avoid clowns at any cost!
- Invest in quality linens but don’t over-invest
- Duvet covers are preferred over comforters because they are simple and easy to wash